The BR Newsletter gives you first-priority access to a variety of cool stuff in every issue: from project announcements and updates, drumming/writing previews, and health and fitness tips, to Dragon Dirt recipes, book/vid/podcast recommendations, and tour date info.
To access, please take a moment to join the site with your email/username/password:
You are now set to receive the BR Newsletter!
And you can now access the BR Newsletter Archives below. Enjoy!
+ + + + + + +
BR Newsletter Archives
- Update on the Kick-Ass New Lita Ford Record
- What in the Hell are Micro-Workouts?
- Dragon Dirt Community - Featured Dirt-Drinker: Andrea Volpp (Quick Q&A)
- New Book Preview - Will Drum For Food - "An Evening of Nunsense"
- The Case for Audiobooks
- Dragon Dirt Community - Down & Dirty Q&A: When is the best time of day to have a superfood smoothie?
- Musings: If These Drums Could Talk...
- Three Life-Changing Nutritional Practices to Try Immediately
- Dragon Dirt Community Featured Dirt-Drinker: Craig LeMay (Quick Q&A)
- Four Factors in Creating YOUR Rock-Solid Workout Routine
- Into as of Late: Shoe Dog - Phil Knight, plus Hiromi (several titles mentioned)
- Dragon Dirt Smoothie Science: A Visual Approach to the Dragon Dirt Formula (and How it Came to Be)
- Memoir: Crash!!! Surviving Near-death Near El Paso...
- BR Health Beat - Edamame: It's What's for Snacking!
- Dragon Dirt Community Featured Dirt-Drinker: E. Clint Allen (Quick Q&A)
- Musings: Are You Ready For This?
- BR Health Beat: Plan on a Daily Workout... Even if it Doesn't Always Work Out!
- Down & Dirty: Could this be the world's healthiest fruit?
- If You Will Indulge Me... (A Personal Message)
- Dragon Dirt T-shirts on the Horizon!
- Seen and Heard: A new book and podcast (that I'm in) that might be of interest...
- Musings: Run Your Race
- Found! More Rare Artifacts (of the VVI variety)
- Dragon Dirt Community Featured Dirt-Drinker: Malcolm Gil (Quick Q&A)
- Your Future Self: A Journaling Exercise
- Dragon Dirt Community Featured Dirt-Drinker: Pam Fogarty (Quick Q&A)
- Preview from my upcoming book: Will Drum For Food - "The Auditorium"
- Let's Get Triggered!: My personal obsession with blacklight posters
- Rethinking Pushups
- Down and Dirty: Exploring One of the Most Nutritious Leaves on the Planet
A Road Dawg Remembered: Rest in peace, mighty Munch man!
Into as of Late: Moxy - Revisiting the classic hard rockers from Canada
Down and Dirty: Feel the Power of the Golden Powder
- In celebration of two key anniversaries this week, enjoy an excerpt from my memoir, The Boy Is Gonna Rock
- Five Steps to More Training Intensity
- Hot Links at Hand: Tons of New Tour Dates; Newsletter Archives; BR News Feed; Merch and Dirt
- The Silence is Deafening: Reflections on a Weekend of Primal Beauty and… Silence!
- On the Road: First post-pandemic show with Lita Ford, coming right up this weekend
- Down & Dirty: The Power is in the Pea
The Bobby Rock Newsletter #14 (6-16-2021) - The Great American, Grass Roots, Rockin' Road Warrior Dream
- The Great American, Grass Roots, Rockin’ Road Warrior Dream: Another cool book excerpt from my upcoming memoir: Will Drum For Food
- Get ready to feel the burn with: Five MORE Steps to Increased Training Intensity
- Find it Fast: The main BR links in one place
- Who Needs Sleep? - Musings on the importance of sleep, and my longtime, highly-dysfunctional relationship with it. (A timely topic, given the post-covid return of road life!)
- Dragon Dirt turns 6 months old!
- July Tour Dates (with Lita Ford)
- Jumping Into the Void
- Count Reps, Not Time
- A Year of Daily Meditation (on the horizon)
- A Year of Daily Meditation - Just completed this goal this week and wanted to talk in a bit more detail about the upside of an undervalued practice.
- Down and Dirty: “Blueberries on steroids!” Meet Maqui Berry… yet another super-potent fruit in Dragon Dirt
- July Tour Dates (with Lita Ford)
- Quick Tip on Protein Requirements
- Ignoring Unvetted Criticism
- Podcast Magic: Tim Ferris interviewing Jim Collins (Two Episodes)
- “The Guy in Ratt”- a rare, rhyming poem I wrote over 13 years ago. While I still find it amusing to revisit this particular juncture in the journey, I’m reminded of how, indeed, the rough times make us tougher and more resilient.
- The Barrier: Why is it so hard to stick with those healthy new habits that we know we should be sticking to?
- Your Higher Calling: A Journaling Exercise - This is a solid and (hopefully) inspiring contemplation!
- The VVI debut turns 35! - With a little then-and-now reflection...
- First Thing in the Morning - Something helpful to kickstart another day of unparalleled creativity! (Or something like that…)
- A B-12 Crash Course - Getting enough of this important nutrient.
- Your Gold Medal Moment: An Olympics-inspired contemplation worth contemplating!
- Don’t Stop! How and why to make it through the uninspired workout.
- Down & Dirty: Dragon Dirt ingredients spotlight on one of the most mysterious, potent, intriguing mushroom adaptogens on earth...
- Into as of Late: My preoccupation with one killer drummer from Iran continues. I play his records in a loop at my desk, create intricate odd-meter practice pad routines to his solos, and even meditate to his music on occasion. Read on…
- Book Excerpt: A da VInci-inspired piece from my book, Zentauria.
- On Doing the Work: Musings on a famous Thoreau quote that is probably more relative today than it was 180 years ago when he wrote it.
The Bobby Rock Newsletter #22 (8-25-2021) - Solo Drumming in China 2019 - Observations and Reflections
- Musings: Reflecting on the epic life experience of my 2019 solo drumming tour of China
- A "Winning" Tip for Peak Performance: What can we learn from a world champion sharpshooting bad-ass? Plenty!
- Down and Dirty: Dragon Dirt ingredients spotlight on one of the classic must-haves for anyone looking to up their nutrition game..
- The Game of Life: A “four quarters” philosophy that you just might find useful.
- Rumi Speaks: The wisdom of staying up all night… at least according to my biased interpretation of one of "the main man's" poems.
- Water Works: A quick crash course in superior hydration... and a simple reminder to drink more water! Everything about your health and nutrition begins and ends here
- My iWatch Calls Me Motherfucker!: A few initial observations on the almighty iWatch
- Celebration Day: Musings on a landmark sobriety anniversary. But did I really have a choice? (Yes… but no.)
- Meditate on THIS: Wise words from the Buddha regarding attachments…
- A Radical Reinvention: With “Reinvention" as our theme, we delve into another “Into as of Late” record that I think you might find interesting: a (mostly) all-female tribute to my boys, Slaughter, but with quite a unique twist. Read on…
- Reinvention Reflection: Some of our coolest creative ideas are those that involve reimagining some of our greatest influences. Let’s ponder...
- Pushing and Pulling: When in doubt, here’s a time-tested approach to resistance training that can’t fail. In fact, it remains the most common approach I take to a near-daily regimen of hitting the iron, even to this day.
- Behind the Hype: A new book excerpt detailing Nelson's inaugural, full-band autograph signing event in Los Angeles. Daaaamn!
- Bringing our 20th Century Brains into the 21st Century: Time to up our mental game, I say…
- Self-Evaluation on Your Brain Game: Setting the table for future contemplations on this important subject/practice...
The Unseen: Yes, there is almost ALWAYS more to a situation than what the eyes can see. So why not delay that initial reaction and give yourself a chance to see it?
The 24-Hour Rule: You will love this one… and so will those around you once you master it!
Down & Dirty: Dragon Dirt ingredients spotlight on one of the most tested and legit performance-enhancing superfoods on the planet. (Also great for heart health!)
- Hold out for the “Fuck Yes!” opportunity—as opposed to settling for the uninspired “affirmative" that may eventually become the unwelcomed obligation.
- Calendar Power: Inking something in stone on your calendar is a great way to either jumpstart or uplevel your workout, nutrition, and recovery regimen.
- Seen and Heard: Thrilled to participate in Eric Carr’s recent Metal Hall of Fame induction; Special “anniversary” podcast timing re: the Vinnie Vincent Invasion audition.
- Melt Your Heart: If you might indulge me, here’s a quick, personal update on one of the most important beings in my life.
- Blow Your Mind: Curious to know how into something you really are… or someone else is? Check this out!
- Blow Your Mind Some More!: Continuing on with our 21st-Century Brain theme—and our humble aspirations for “superhuman” mental potential—we circle back around to one of my favorite concepts: left-brain/right-brain development. And who better to examine than two of our greatest geniuses?
- “A Truckload of Rejection:” Learning a valuable lesson about reconciling our failures from writing guru, Steven Pressfield.
- Cardio Factor: Yes, I say, we must move the iron. But we also gotta tax our cardiovascular system regularly if we want to enjoy top level health and fitness. Here’s the quick overview on how…
- Geniuses Run Late: At least that's what we’ve always told ourselves… but now science concurs!
- The New Bobby Rock Store is Live, complete with some bells and whistles you might find interesting. Here’s the quick overview.
- Down and Dirty: Is this one of the world’s most potent herbs? No doubt. Let’s take a closer look at another of the eighteen all-star superfood ingredients in Dragon Dirt and see what it can do for you.
- "The Nightmare Returns:” ...and we are so glad he did. Here’s a brief excerpt from The Boy Is Gonna Rock, detailing that harrowing Halloween gig I did with VVI, opening up for Alice Cooper in his hometown of Detroit. (One of the scariest Halloweens ever!)
- Impress Your Friends at Parties! How to quickly memorize a list of 20 items, on the spot and in perfect order. If this kind of thing is new to you, consider this exercise a decent foray into the world of memory enhancement and “left-brain” conditioning.
- Two Steps to your "Mega Memory:" Here we arrive at the nitty-gritty of how you put it all together. Dig it!
- Lita Ford in Chicagoland—A Quick Retrospective: Just got back from a cool hit with Lita near Chicago, and thought I'd share a few pics.
- A Conversation with the World’s Wisest Man? Enjoy another slice today from my book, Zentauria. We delve deep into some big-time life stuff, and how WE get to choose the meaning behind everything that happens in our experience here.
- Into as of Late: This is music I’m into all the time, not just “as of late.” Nonetheless, we give the master his due with a quick look at “A Love Supreme,” a record I continue to obsess over decades after first hearing it.
- Trane - a poem: From the archives... an older piece of writing inspired by the main man.
- Everyday Martial Arts Wisdom for All: The often-unappreciated art of diffusing verbal conflict with the same eloquence that we diffuse potential physical conflict.
- Hot Tip: "Reps and Steps" in Rhythm: Here’s a cool tool for increasing speed and stamina in your training (or practice time).
- Vid from the Vault: At long last… the process of posting lots of playing vids of my "Alpha Kit” has begun, along with a commitment to post more drumming vids in general, more consistently.
- 500 Consecutive Days of Meditation: Another pointless milestone? I'm thinking not...
- It's a Gratitude thing: A brief reflection on our official day of gratitude...
- A (year-round) Thanksgiving "Affirmation" to Scope: Something simple and cool that will affect your life in a meaningful way...
- Getting the Show on the Road: My maiden voyage into “Glutton for Punishment” land. No regrets, friends…
- A Year of the Dirt: Celebrating one year since the pre-launch… today!
- Drum Vid Vault: More video archiving… this time with some alphabet drumming, multi-voice improv, and more. Let’s hit it!
- DO Try This at Home, Kids!: A quick but thorough exploration of the magic of stream-of-consciousness journaling
- Down & Dirty: Whatgrass juice? - A bit about one of my all-time favorite superfoods—wheatgrass juice powder—and its role in “the most potent all-in-one superfood powder on the planet."
- Lita Ford Tour Dates Check-in - Scope the horizon... so far, at least. Plus a bit more Alphabet Drumming™ madness.
- I Have the Greatest Friends: Wow! Check this out. One of the most personal—and more unusual—gifts you might see this year…
- More Mind Power: Continuing on with our build-a-better-brain theme, let’s talk “Visions and Digits.”
- Alphabet Soup: “Spelling out" two different words, on the drums, to create one unique groove on the Alphabet Kit. My favorite Black Sabbath song, reimagined.
- As worn out as the notion may be, let's drill down on the New Year’s Resolution concept for a minute and see if there's any merit left for us…
- Either way, here are three heavy-duty contemplations to consider in your remaining moments of quiet in 2021
- The Mental Game: I talk about it at length with a couple of experts in a recent podcast.
- Rare Photo Story: Revisiting one of the more mythical snare drums on earth… and the day I was lucky enough to get one.
- Hot Tip for a Healthier Cooking Habit: Batch that shit!
- Think on This... as we consider our pursuits in 2022.
- "Poetry in Motion:" What does a popular quote from the Sufi mystic Rumi sound like as a thematic drum pattern? Now we know…
- Don’t let that genius idea get away! Here’s to the simple art of “Collecting Your Thoughts.”
- In Case You Missed It: More Black(light) magic here, in an updated article you might enjoy